Sunday, January 29, 2012

Focus

As a Social Work major and Worship Leading minor, I figured I'm going to have a lot of experiences and thoughts that I'm going to want to be able to write out, not just to share with other people, but so that I can better understand what I'm feeling. 
Anyway, at a Sunday night program my church is running, I lead worship for the middle and high school youth groups. I have high school students helping me out with the worship, since they're going to be there anyway. There are two or three consistent band members, but there are three other students that I've been having trouble with. I'd like to think that their un-reliability is due to their age, and that I won't encounter anything as serious or frustrating when I'm leading a team of adult band members. I know that the reality is that they'll just be un-reliable in different ways. The students who are causing me problems have, more than once, forgotten to tell me when they can or can't show up to play.
This has especially been a problem, because I've been sick and my voice is shot. Every night, though, God finds a way to make it work. Tonight, we decided to play Mighty To Save. It's not my favorite song, but I know that all the middle and high school students know it. The speaker chose a passage that described God as "mighty to save". It amazed me that, even though the band didn't have as many people as I expected, and it wasn't my favorite song, God worked through it. 



It's just proof that God works through our imperfections. The speaker left on a note sort of like this; 
A broken jar isn't good for holding water - fill it up, and the water will all spill out. If you fill the jar with light, though, the light will shine through the broken places. In the same way, God uses our broken places to shine through us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment