Tuesday, February 21, 2012

40

Happy Fat Tuesday!
All of my friends have been talking about what they're going to give up for Lent, and I have yet to decide. I have about 50 minutes left to do so. I'm leaning towards giving up Facebook, but sometimes I feel like that's not nearly enough. 
I think that if we give something up, it should be something that is a major distraction to our faith. One of my friends also pointed out that Lent doesn't need to be about giving something up; it can also be about doing something new.
I decided that I'm going to try to do both - first, I'm going to attempt to give up all internet access except for my school email, and school necessary sites such as moodle. 
A few weeks ago, my girlfriend and I began reading the same devotions separately, and then  calling each other at night to discuss them. Even though I started this habit before Lent, I'm going to use the free time I have (that I would have used for the internet) to concentrate and reflect more on the devotions everyday. 
Since I am so used to being on the internet everyday, I'll post a few blogs over the forty days about how I'm doing. I'm predicting that I'll struggle a little bit, which, to be honest, makes me feel bad about how dependent I am on technology, etc, which is a whole other topic.


What are you doing for Lent, and how is it going to bring you closer to God?
I'm not knocking down things like, "no chocolate" or "less pop", but I'm encouraging you to maybe take away something that distracts you from your faith, or maybe add a spiritual discipline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment